A Social Enterprise
Patchlarks is a social enterprise* and this represents our social mission in its current form.
Our vison is for today’s children to grow up to be active parts of a fair and prosperous society based on acceptance, compassion, critical thought, generosity and a sustainable, loving relationship with the natural world.
Our mission is to work towards this vision through creating and running richly imaginative play and storytelling based activities for young people which:
- promote the qualities of compassion, empathy, theory of mind, bravery, curiosity, resilience and critical thinking.
- promote knowledge, enjoyment and the conservation of the natural world.
- emphasise collaboration throughout and involve the generous sharing of our practice.
- model a highly creative and resourceful approach, making a lot from a little.
- offer rich and delightful experiences to those involved in the projects.
- reach a wide audience from the highly privileged to the highly underprivileged.
- leave communities with greater confidence to engage in imaginative and playful activity of their own.
Brave – We are brave about growing, acting on what we have learned, trying something new. We are brave about setting out to seek prosperity with an uncertainty of outcome.
Curious – We are curious to find out new things from new people, and seek new discoveries and understanding wherever we end up.
Generous – We are generous with our practice in a spirit of openness and sharing. We have a show not tell attitude, embodying our values.
Compassionate – Our desire to act on compassion drives us to leave communities better than we found them, even in small ways. This means listening closely and actively wherever we go.
Critical – As critical thinkers we do not always accept the status quo or the first thing we hear – we believe in thoughtful exploration of knowledge, actions and assumptions.
Resourceful – We exercise our resourcefulness wherever we go, aiming to make a lot from whatever we have available.
Playful – We practice our playfulness in the belief that delight and play create transformational conditions for both individuals and communities.
*Being a social enterprise isn’t a type of legal structure, it represents our commitment to persue our social mission throught the work we do and to reinvest any excess resources we have towards furthering this mission.